This Site is provided by the BSA Bantam Club and, apart from a Club Members Section, is open to all.If you have a Bantam or simply have an interest in the classic BSA Bantam marque please feel free to browse the Site and Forum.
The bids were opened on the 29th April 1920 with a sale being agreed to Crosse & Blackwell.
Crosse & Blackwell finalised the purchase from the Disposals Board of HM Government in April 1921 after a dispute about the removal of machinery pledging to turn the Factory into the largest & best equipped food preserving plant in the British Empire.
Amongst the reasons Branston was chosen was that it was out of reach of enemy aircraft.
During World War One, as a part of the National Factories Scheme, HM Government commissioned the Enfield Small Arms Factory to design a National Machine Gun Factory to be built on 150 acres of open fields along the North side of Burton Road in Branston.
They called it their Chief Factory on the labels of their products.
Alongside the purchase of the Factory Crosse & Blackwell also purchased Branston Lodge next to the Leicester line railway bridge in Burton Road as a residence for their single female workers (demolished in the 1960’s).
The site was being used at the time by the Golf Club who moved to Bretby and also as Woodwards Farm.
The Factory was built by local builder Thomas Lowe & Sons and was started in 1917 but not fully finished before the First World War ended in November 1918.
The Government offered to sell it to him for £600,000 but he had also declined.
Subsequently, a bidding process went to sealed bids with Crosse & Blackwell making an offer of £612,856 and M Girardot offering £576,000.
Burton was renowned during his time as a traveller, explorer, orientalist, anthropologist, writer, linguist, and translator.